To some it sounds crazy to use breastmilk for anything other than feeding your baby. I know because I used to be that person.
But, seriously, once you realize all that breastmilk offers, AND you see the wonders that it works, you will have no doubt as to why people call it liquid gold.
If I’m starting lose you already because you think the thought is strange just ask yourself how many times you have used cows milk for something – people wash their hair, make lotions, etc. with cows milk. So, why not use breastmilk for natural treatments, too?
Go ahead, call it weird, but when you are desperate for some natural remedies that actually work, like I was a few years ago, you will probably become a believer just like me.
These 5 uses for breastmilk, other than feeding your baby (the most important of them all!) are tried and true in my house and there are soooo many more uses that I haven’t even touched on or tried myself!
- Diaper Rash – A little breast milk on your babies stubborn diaper rash is probably the most natural cure for it that you can find. We struggled to find something that would truly get rid of my daughters stubborn rash whens he was a few months old. We tried everything from coconut oil to all the different over the counter creams. In the end, I figured I would try breastmilk. I applied it at every diaper change. Just enough to wet the surface and let it dry a bit before closing that diaper up. Voila…diaper rash was gone in 24 hours.
- Ear Troubles – If you think your child might have an ear infection, especially if it is in the beginning stages, a few drops of breastmilk in that ear 2-3 times a day will help soothe them and fight that infection. My son struggled with ear infections and was on and off antibiotics the first year of his life – when we decided to give the breastmilk a try, we told our doctor and even he was skeptical. But the following week when his nasty double infection had cleared on it’s own…we were all believers.
- Eye treatment – blocked tear ducts, conjunctivitis, etc. A few drops of breastmilk will help! Apply several times a day. Make sure you are using a sterile eye dropper. If you are dealing with conjunctivitis in your little one, putting breastmilk onto a clean cloth or paper towel and holding it to their eye will soothe that itch!
- Baby Acne/Skin Cleanser – some mamas go crazy over that infant acne. They want that beautiful little face to be clear for their baby. Washing their face/bodies with a little breastmilk will help clear their face and really helps to eliminate that bay acne – wherever it may be.
- Cradle Cap and Eczema -Breastmilk on a clean towel rubbed in a gentle circular motion on the scalp will help that cradle cap to go away. And for that eczema on baby – you can soak a paper towel or clean cloth and hold on to the infected area to soothe and treat, or you can rub breastmilk directly on the area (whatever is easiest for the area you are treating!).
That liquid gold can help with all these things and more! And I’ve only given you uses for your baby. Breastmilk is not harmful to the human body, so don’t be so scared to use it to treat baby’s ailments, and if you’re brave enough – your own and other family members, too!
If you are a new or expecting mom, you can get my FREE postpartum kit by signing up here. It includes postpartum essentials, a successful breastfeeding checklist and a restful sleep guide!! Plus you get the weekly newsletter from Latched and Attached that will offer insights and news for everything postpartum.